Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 2

Like the doctors warned me, the second day post-op was pretty painful.  I followed the same routine as I have been;  an hour or so of CPM, followed by keeping it elevated for around 2 hours.  Every so often, I'll get up and do a little walking around.  When I walk, there is more pain and pressure towards the front of my calf and shin then there is anywhere near my knee.  When I'm laying down it's the opposite, pain near my kneecap, but nowhere else.

I start Physical Therapy today.  As per my surgeons orders, I do very little today at PT.  It's more of an examination than anything else.  My leg gets a little massage, I do some electronic stem., and some light quad sets. I'm told by the following Monday I'll get a little more involved.  The therapists are happy with the way my leg looks. Although we can't take the gauze off till Friday, there is minimal swelling in my leg, and the leg as a whole seems rather strong for essentially being 36 hours out of surgery.  I'm told this is in large part to my "prehab" of my leg.  I had a full 3 months to get my leg as close to 100% as i could before surgery, and I made the most of it.  I cannot stress enough how useful this will hopefully prove to be in what I hope is a speedy recovery. 

After I arrive back home, i spend a better part of the evening in some pretty moderate pain.  The best way i can describe it is, I feel like a child having severe growing pains up and down his leg. All i wanna do is stretch it out in any way I can, but I'm obviously SOL.  Thankfully, by the time 10pm rolls around, the pain starts to subside.  I pass out and sleep in intervals closer to 2 hours as opposed to 1 last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment